Tuesday 8 September 2015

Tai Chi - have you joined the movement?

Greetings friends!
I'm sure by now you will have noticed that I'm posting this weeks chapter on Tuesday!?
From this week on, Tuesday will be my posting night (my weekly schedule has changed as of this week, with no real prior warning)    > v <
Change is as good as a holiday, they say.

In celebration of my return to active Aikido training this week after many months away, I wanted to talk about another activity I love and spent years practicing - Tai Chi.

Have you ever had a go?

Tai Chi in its core essence is a Martial Art, like Kung Fu, Karate or Tae Kwon Do. Just like Karate practices 'kata', Tai Chi focuses on movement sequences.



There are still streams of combative Tai Chi around, but they are nowhere near so common as pure practice of the movements.


Years ago, while living in Western Australia, I had the pleasure of practicing Taoist Tai Chi for 4 years. Taoist Tai Chi is a branch form of Tai Chi developed by Master Moy Lin-shin. Building from his experience of several different arts, he developed this branch of Tai Chi to promote the health benefits that could be felt from each art he'd previously learnt. What he developed was a 108 move sequence of Tai Chi movements that benefited me and many of my friends who I practiced with.


Core Tai Chi is usually unarmed movement. However, there are also weapon sequences that are very beautiful to watch, and feel exquisite to practice.

During the time I was practicing I also learnt a sequence using a Sabre sword. I loved the open handed 108 move sequence, but I could feel such power intertwined in the Sabre set movements that it quickened my heart in delight every time I thought about moving through the sequence. I still have my sabre tucked away in the cupboard, awaiting the day I pull it out again to recommence practice.



Other weapons that have sequences available (depending the branch of Tai Chi) include the Chinese sword, fan, and spear.


Now, why I really wanted to talk about this was to awaken your curiosity about Tai Chi. Tai Chi seems have developed a public image in Australia (and I imagine lots of other western hemisphere counties) that it is [and should] only practiced by older people!?

Having practiced it for 4 years through my mid-twenties, I really don't understand how that reputation occurred. It is brilliant to gain body balance and strength. For older people, better strength and balance means better health and fewer falls. But that also translates directly to younger people too.

Some people may consider Tai Chi boring due to practicing slow sequences of movement. Personally I never found it boring, even coming into it from a dynamic and intensive Aikido training schedule. Having now had a go at Yoga, I see lots of parallels between the form of Tai Chi I practiced, and Yoga. The slow, controlled moves can take a great deal of body control to complete a pattern.

Allow me  to offer you an example: A standard set of 108 Taoist Tai Chi moves would take approximately 12-15 minutes to complete.

I had the honour of being a set leader for quite a while as I practiced in WA - the set leader gets to select the pace for everyone in the group to practice the set. While leading, I would stretch the 108 move set out to take a full 20 minutes or so. By the end of the set, the first few time I ever pushed it out to 20 minutes, my whole body shook from the effort of it, and I felt fabulous. The slow movement had awoken a body full of muscles that I hadn't really I'd had, because I'd never slowed down enough to find them!

I could also push through and complete the 108 moves in roughly 5 minutes. Everyone would be dripping sweat and laughing by the end of that one - it's a lot of moves to work through for a big group in such a short space of time.


I can't think of a single session of Tai Chi I ever completed where I didn't feel absolutely brilliant at the end. It is great fun and great company. Some of my most precious friends I met in WA where Tai Chi friends - I love their presence in my life, even if I don't live in the same state anymore!


So! If you are game, I highly recommend you have a look around for a Tai Chi troupe near you. If you find one and it works with your healthy life schedule, give it a go, you might love it!

Annd if you have previously, or are currently practicing Tai Chi, which variety of Tai Chi are you practicing? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences from practice!



And with that, have a delightful week my beautiful friends. Until next week.

In love and light, be peaceful.

Annalise

p.s. If I can find any photos of me back when I was practicing the Tai Chi or Sabre sets, I'll share them in a special post for you, but its been a while now, not if I still have any.



No comments:

Post a Comment