Monday 11 May 2015

Reflexology Lesson - Part I

Hello everyone!
Welcome back to another exciting week. Over the last few weeks I have strayed away from specific reflexology to share some of my other favourite stress relieving, thought provoking topics.

This week, I want to start start a series of posts that will contain information for you about reflexology, as well as how you can self treat certain systems of your body. I won't do all of the posts in this series in a row though, so look forward to some other random inserts in the middle! ^_^

As I mentioned a while ago, our beautiful, precious feet have the reflex map of our body, but so do our hands and ears. There are other maps and approaches around your body too, but I have only studied these three.

For this series, I will be providing homework for you to start practicing on yourselves. As reaching our own feet can be awkward at the best of times, I will focus on our HANDS. How handy! ^___^


How often do you massage your own hands?

If you find a sore spot on your hand, do you give it a bit more love?


If you've answered "No" to either of those questions, we have some work to do! ^_^
Massaging your hands feels great. Yes, I know its even better if someone else does it for you (oxytocin!), but its still awesome to do yourself.

The trick is to massage the WHOLE SURFACE AREA of your hands. It doesn't have to be a deep massage, as the reflexes are just below the skin.
If you find a sore spot - you may have just bruised / cut / injured your hand, or you have a sensitive reflex. If you cannot think of a very specific reason for that sore spot on your hand, its probably the reflex crying our for some Tender Loving Care. So give it a gentle massage.

There are two specific systems I want to teach you the reflex areas for this week. These are the Central Nervous System (CNS) and your Lymphatic System (LS). These two systems are super important for everything in life, and balancing your CNS will go a long way in helping your body deal with stress as well, not to mention help your back and brain!

See my (gorgeous, MS Paintbrush) image below. (!) I have highlighted the specific areas of your hand for these two systems.

  • The green lines are your Central Nervous System
  • the yellow circles show a nifty way to stir up your Lymphatic System



How to do it:

CNS
Gently massage along and around the bones of your thumb, from the wrist up to the tip of your thumb and back down.
Also make sure you give some TLC to the tip of your thumb, it needs it too!

This line covers reflexes for your spine (full length), spinal cord and brain - the nervous hubs of your body!


LS
This is not so much a massage as a gentle, flat pinch of the webbing between your fingers. Grab a 'meaty' hunk of the webbing between your fingers with the flat pads of your thumb and index finger and gently pinch. Repeat this action a few times on each finger webbing, and do this regularly - it's a great time filler for idle hands.
This is the most common piece of homework I give to my clients - it's sooooooo good!

This action is like 'pumping' your lymph around your body. Do the action gently and feel the pumping sensation as you work. Its super good for you, particularly as most of us these days spend way too much time sitting down.


For either of these areas, if you find something is sore, revisit it gently and see if it stops hurting. If it keeps hurting, give it a rest and visit it again later. If it starts to get more painful - stop what you are doing as something isn't going quite right.


Remember :
REFLEXOLOGY DOES NOT HAVE TO HURT TO WORK.

I am a firm believer that healing mainly occurs when the body is relaxed. Causing yourself pain is not typically relaxing, therefore, not very healing.
I acknowledge that a hard massage can feel great sometimes, but feeling pummeled and bruised for a week after a treatment doesn't float my personal boat at all, and I thoroughly discourage that attitude in these reflexology exercises!


So this is your first lesson in reflexology self treatment, I hope you like it!

Let me know how you go with it, and whether my descriptions make sense to you - I can clarify if required. ^__^



Have a delightful week, see you next Monday night!

In love and light, be peaceful

Annalise

No comments:

Post a Comment