Monday 18 May 2015

Where Are You?

Hello my dear friend, welcome back!

Recently I witnessed something that left me pondering and this week I’d like to share the anecdote, and my own musings. Please feel free to join me by sharing your own perspective in the comments section below  – I’d love to share in your take on this topic too. J

A couple of weeks ago I walked into a country supermarket to buy a snack and some water. The shop attendant was busily polishing the glass doors of the drink fridge, and she was just about finished. The doors positively glowed; she’d done a fabulous job, so I complimented her on how beautiful she’d made the glass.
Her response was derisive snort, a sigh and then “only until the next person goes anywhere near it…!”

In response, all I could do was smile sympathetically, grab my snack and very carefully not touch the glass as I collected my water. But I was left pondering as I returned to work.
 “Why couldn’t she just enjoy her beautiful handiwork, even if just for a moment?”

The answer I’ve come to – she wasn’t ‘present’. Rather than being present and enjoying the moment, she had chosen to already be witnessing that future scenario where someone put greasy wipes all over the glass! Because she was so wary of this future ‘mess’, it felt like she’d completely missed the current beauty.

So what if someone comes and puts a handprint on the glass, why not admire their beautiful hand?



Paraphrasing something I heard recently by the brilliant Eckhart Tolle, “dwelling on past thoughts often leads to regret. Dwelling on future possibilities most often leads to anxiety. Neither option leads to joy.”

So let's practice being present, even if only for a the odd occasion to start!

My advice and GEM for the week – allow yourself to enjoy the beauty in moments.
  • ·         Pause from whatever you are doing, and enjoy a deep, relaxing breath.
  • ·         Go for a walk around the block at lunchtime and just enjoy the fresh, non-conditioned air.
  • ·         Open the curtains in the morning and pause to bask in the beautiful dawn light of a crisp, late autumn morning (or spring if you’re in the northern hemisphere). J
  • ·         Watch a leaf or flower dance in the wind, on its way down to earth.

Life is all about the little moments of joy and it can be as simple as any example above, or anything that might warm your heart. We are constantly surrounded by things that can give us joy. Allow yourself a moment, it might only be 10 seconds, to relax, breathe and experience it.



And with that delightful thought, have a beautiful week.

In love and light, be peaceful.
Annalise

1 comment:

  1. Heeheehee, perhaps I should have titled this post "When Are You?" instead? ^_~

    And?
    When are _you_?

    ReplyDelete