Monday 13 July 2015

Reflexology 101: Neck and Shoulders!

Hello again my dear friends!

How have you been keeping this week? And how are you going at being kind to yourselves, and increasing the value and importance you place on your own happiness?

I know valuing your own happiness can feel strangely ‘selfish’ if you’re not used to it – but it’s worth it in the long run, because you’ll be happier and healthier, with all of that to share!
But do remember, doing things that make you feel ‘good’ won’t truly feel good, if what you’re doing is hurting someone else in the process. There is always a happy medium – lots of happy mediums, in fact! So much freedom and choice!

This week I want to change it up a bit! This blog has been so deep in my own spiritual journey lately that I want to bring it all back to the tangible for a bit. So! How about another reflexology lesson, just for you?!

Last time I did a lesson on this I taught the hand reflexes for our Central Nervous System (back/spine and brain reflexes), cause that is just so gosh darned important. As well as my favourite gentle pinch and pull of the finger webbing to pump that lymphatic fluid around our bodies, keeping us fresh and healthy. Have you been remembering to do this every so often? Its super good for you, and feels great!

This week I’ll pick up another group of reflexes that are super important and relevant – particularly to people working and/or living in stressful environments.

Do your neck and shoulders carry a lot of tension? There was a period in my life when I was so tense that I was seeing a masseur weekly just to function, and I’d be in pain again within 24 of the massage. But no more!  Anytime I start to feel that tension building again, I get straight onto these reflexes and then it’s happy, easy moving days again!

And where are these incredible reflexes, you ask?
Why, here of course! J



Ahahaha, don’t you love my classy drawings?

All these descriptions below are relevant for BOTH hands
Firstly, acquaint yourselves with the whole pad of your hand below the fingers (area circled in Green). Gently massage this whole area regularly – it contains all the reflexes for your shoulder muscles and shoulder joint and just feels fabulous to massage!

It’s a great habit when massaging your hands to gently work up along bones. All the Orange lines on this sketch are recommending you gently work up the sides and centres (not drawn) of each finger. Our fingers hold reflexes for our head and neck, and again, a gentle rub regularly along your fingers will help keep your neck nice and comfortable.
I’ve put lots of Orange lines all over the thumb because the whole surface of the thumb is super awesome and important, and has reflexes for the whole head and neck – so give it lots of gentle love!

I also want to share a little secret reflex with you this week; you’re just so special to me. This is one of my favourites. The blue star at the base of the index finger is a reflex to a very important muscle – the trapezius. For me personally this one is where most of my tension settled. And after some exploration, I have found a great spot at the base of my index finger that gets a little knot under the skin. Gently working this area does wonders for my whole shoulder region. By relaxing this muscle!





Gently!
There are enough sources of pain in the world without deliberately inflicting physical pain upon ourselves!

 You may have noticed I used the word “Gently” a lot in my descriptions above. I’m serious about this. Reflexology does NOT need to hurt to work really well. Gently massaging and rubbing your hands is an awesome thing to do. Deliberately picking a spot and drilling it until it hurts or beyond will certainly not help you, and I strongly suggest you do not attempt it.

As always, please just be kind to your beautiful self, and your beautiful hands. If it hurts, don’t keep doing it. And even if you don’t know what you’re doing, or where you’re working, a gentle hand massage with some cream or oil is blissful and beneficial.

We handle our lives with our hands, so handle life, and your hands with love!
J

If you have any questions about these reflexes, or another part of the body you would like to learn about the reflexes for, message me below, on Facebook or via email and I’ll see what I can do. I’d love to hear how you are going with all the various GEMS I have described so far. Has anything in particular resonated with you? Do you have a question forming that I may be able to help answer? I love questions, so don’t be shy!

And with that, have a delightful, joy filled, relaxed week!
In love and light, be peaceful


Annalise

No comments:

Post a Comment