Monday 3 August 2015

Musings of a beginner Yogi

Greetings again my delightful friends (from a snow covered southern island)!
How are you going with all the Gems that have been tumbling from my treasure cave so far – have any resonated with you? I hope you are giving yourself permission to enjoy every day, regardless of what is going on, and reminding yourself every time you glance in the mirror of just how special, worthy and loved you are – so very much!



Continuing down the path of Stress Relief and Relaxation, physical movement is a key part of a balanced lifestyle, and what could be more balancing than something like Yoga? Not to mention that it is primarily practiced indoors. Australia is now in the deep throws of winter so its great to find something to keep moving with indoors. And for my beautiful northern hemisphere readers, this isn’t only a winter exercise – and hey, you may even be able to practice this under the shade of a tree in a beautiful grassy park?!

About 6 weeks ago, on a whim I purchased a Yoga DVD for home practice. I had no idea about Yoga, though people from all spectrums of my life have been singing it’s praises to me for years. As a happy martial artist, and a former Tai Chi mover, I always avoided Yoga for some reason… And at the time, that was perfect, but suddenly the timing felt perfect for me the day I bought this DVD, so here’s my take on Yoga.



The short summary – it is awesome!
I picked the DVD up because I have been fairly inactive lately. I have barely done any martial arts since surgery last year, and through winter I have struggled to find the motivation to go walking. “There were so many other wonderful things I could distract myself with like starting my reflexology business and studying”.

But! Ultimately, strength of body means strength of heart/soul, and vice versa. A balanced life is not really sitting at a computer (or a book) all the time. Our beautiful, intelligent bodies like to move around, and remind us of just how incredible they are!

Now – did you know there are different types of Yoga? I didn’t. As luck would have it, the DVD I picked up (the cover is pictured above) was practicing the Vinyasa style of Yoga. Vinyasa is all about moving with the breath, so is more dynamic than other forms of Yoga. And with deep breathing, it doesn’t feel rushed between poses, and it frees you from having to hold challenging static positions for uncomfortably long times when you are a Beginner Yogi. As your physical strength and balance increases, holding poses becomes much easier.

From my very first attempt at this DVD I could feel my metabolism kick up several gears. I could feel energy coursing through my body that had been dormant for a while, and I felt wonderfully alive. All from doing a short, 30 minute sequence of stretches on my lounge room floor!

Needless to say, I was surprised and impressed.

I don’t practice every day, and often I do just a 10 minute sequence before breakfast to activate my body for my day at work. Days at home I try to step it up and do a 20 or 30 minute session.

I am rapidly falling in love with Vinyasa Yoga, and as I become more confident in the movements and stronger in my core balancing muscles again, I plan to find a class and make this a social experience as well.

That’s actually the really sweet deal with Yoga. If you are a private personality you can gently practice in the comfort of your own home, as often or rarely as you like. If you’re a really social person, nearly every city in this country (might I be so bold as to say the developed world, even?) would offer at least one Yoga class you could attend, then you benefit from that beautiful group energy as well!

While I am revelling in the beautiful energy that Yoga gives me, I won’t be so specific with my GEM this week as to suggest you take it up. It is brilliant and totally worth it, but if it doesn’t ring any bells for you then perhaps going to the gym or walking to dog will suit you far better!?
The real GEM in this is just to remind us all that exercise can seem unappetising when we have been stagnant for a while. But with very little effort, our body will thrive with movement, and momentum can build from there. Going from stagnant to intensive exercises isn’t the only way J
As I say just about every week, be sure that you are first and foremost listening to, and loving your body. But if you have been feeling a bit stagnant lately, be open to trying new things! Who knows, you may find a new passion?!

Until we meet again next week, have a joyful, easy going week.

In love and light, be peaceful.

Annalise

No comments:

Post a Comment