Monday 6 April 2015

Annalise's Reflexology 101 ^_^

This week I want to talk about a topic particularly close to my heart. How much do you know about reflexology?

I myself have had a love of foot massage since I was a child. However, when I began to study reflexology, the paradigm of simple foot massage vanished, opening me to a style of internal healing I’d never considered before. Today I’d like to share with you my basic description of reflexology, how it can benefit your health, and the easiest way to give yourself a treatment.


Firstly - I believe that all life is perfect. Living organisms are pre-programmed to be able to self-heal (otherwise species would have died out long ago). The same way that our bodies can create antibodies to protect our system from biological invaders, natural mechanisms have been built into our physical structure to help keep us healthy and strong.

On our feet, hands and ears lie maps of our entire bodies, connected through ‘reflexes’. Stimulating these reflexes clears blockages from energy channels around different parts of our bodies. Most ailments occur where there is a blockage in one of these channels. So essentially, clearing the pathways around your body allows it to get on with healing whatever needs attention – these energy blockages stop or slow down that process.


Last week I also promised to talk a bit more about going barefoot this week – here it is!

Our bodies are perfect because simply walking stimulates these reflexes, keeping our energy channels clear, keeping us healthy! However! Modern life has us locking our feet away in cushioned shoes. What we may be forgetting is that wearing shoes changes our gait, atrophies the muscles in in our feet, and removes most if not all natural reflex stimulation. Walking on different textured surfaces stimulates different reflexes, so it’s important to stimulate the whole base of each foot. Walking on cobblestones and other similar, smooth-ish pathways are ideal. Even smooth, flat (natural) surfaces may be a little painful at first, but I would still recommend you try to persist, in small amounts. Try just 5 minutes, once or twice a week. If it does hurt though, don’t overdo it, you’ll achieve nothing if you deliberately injure your feet. With gentle persistence though, you’ll soon find that you become more comfortable over time, and will feel the health benefits of clearing those sore spots away!

For your interest's sake, reflexology paths have been established all around the world, and knowing the benefits, many people visit these daily to walk along barefoot or in socks. Last year we even had a reflexology path opened in Launceston! If you know of one in your area, go give it a try!


Take note! Stimulating reflexes and clearing energy pathways, like any complimentary therapy can release stored toxins – so make sure you’re drinking lots of water! Aim for 1-2 litres of plain water each day! Your body will love you for it!


With love and light, be peaceful (and have a delightful week!)

Annalise

3 comments:

  1. Two questions:
    Does it matter if you wear socks?
    And what are your thoughts on those 'shoes' that are made to cover your feet like gloves? If you don't know what I'm talking about I can find a photo.
    Curious to know if the designers really took all of what you have described into account or if it is just a clever markwting ploy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two questions:
    Does it matter if you wear socks?
    And what are your thoughts on those 'shoes' that are made to cover your feet like gloves? If you don't know what I'm talking about I can find a photo.
    Curious to know if the designers really took all of what you have described into account or if it is just a clever markwting ploy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, thank you for your two awesome questions!
    In terms of wearing socks, I can think of no reason they could ever cause an issue (other than having very naturally coloured socks at the end). So long as you can still feel the ground through them - perfect!
    Your second question is a topic that I myself have been pondering for a while now. Because it is just such an awesome question, I don't think I can say want I'd like to here in the comments. So! I will post a "special: discussion post" later this week, outside of my standard weekly upload timetable just to talk a bit about this topic. Look forward to it! :D

    ReplyDelete