Saturday 11 April 2015

Special Post - Minimalist Shoes

Yay! First Special Blog Post! *super excited*

In response to my last post, an awesome question was asked of me – “…what are your thoughts on those 'shoes' that are made to cover your feet like gloves? …

I myself have been curious about “minimalist shoes” for a while now, but I’ve not yet worn a pair personally. I became properly aware of them late last year, when I saw a conference presenter wearing a pair of Vibrams, and raving about them.

So this question gave me a great excuse to do a bit more focussed research on them. And it is interesting! The shoes themselves are quite variable. All makes and models are about lowering the heel profile of the shoe so that you are mimicking running barefoot, while still having some sole protection from sharp objects. Vibrams seem to be the closest to a genuine ‘barefoot feeling’, but there is a whole spectrum of other minimalist shoes by different major shoe companies that can help people make a gradual transition from traditional shoes.

So! I terms of reflexology and earthing, here is what my literature review has taught me that I can share:
  • ·      Reflexology - Yes, you will be in better contact with the ground, so some foot reflexes will be stimulated
  • ·      Earthing - No, all the shoes still have rubber soles, so you are no more ‘grounded’ in these than standard sneakers or shoes


There is another benefit to Vibrams though, which is actually the primary reason I’d been so interested in them. They can also be called “toe-shoes”. Rather than a standard shoe with a big space for all your toes together, like toe socks there are individual shoe sleeves for each toe. I’m intending to write a blog post about why I like this idea so much, so stay tuned about this one - I'll have you thinking outside the box very soon!

I also asked around my friends if any were minimalist runners, and one is! Here’s a few of his key observations (he’s been a 'min.' runner for ~18 months)
  • Much improved running action (each step lands under his hips now)
  • Improved core strength
  • Better balancing of muscle strength in legs (using hamstrings more)
  • More agile
  • Generally better balance
  • However, he didn’t make the transition slowly enough and persisted despite discomfort – and has injured himself twice (exacerbated back injury and strained Achilles tendon). Take heed!


Remember, people in developed countries have been essentially living in shoes now for many decades.  Consequently, transitioning to using ‘minimalist’ shoes on any intensive basis must be done very gradually.  If you are getting sore arches or sore spots on your feet or legs, you're transitioning too fast - give your body the time it needs to develop the required strength and flexibility. This is like learning how to walk again, from scratch!


In summary, these shoes have not been designed for their reflexology benefits specifically, but I’m confident enough to say that benefit will be felt by wearing them. But transition slowly and gently!
As you’re still not getting any ‘grounding’ through them though, I’d still recommend actually going around barefoot when you can!  :D


Join me this coming Monday night when I talk about Stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment